The new building of the Oghuz District Court
The new administrative building of Oghuz District Court which meets best international standards was built in 2011 under the “Judicial Modernization Project” jointly funded by the Government of Azerbaijan and the World Bank, and implemented by the Ministry of Justice.
The old building of the Oghuz District Court
Brief info about the district
Oghuz is one of the oldest dwellings of Azerbaijan. The people of this area lived a sedentary life back in the Neolithic age. In early AD, this territory was part of Albania in the Caucasus and then of Sheki khanate in the 18th century. Archeologists discovered ancient human dwellings nearby the villages of Kerimli and Garabaldır. Among the finds were arrow heads, bronze arms, stone busts of women and hand sticks. Oghuz district (Vartashen until 1991) was created on 08 August 1930 and Vartashen District People’s Court (presently Oghuz District Court) was established that year. In 1963-1965 Nukha district (Sheki since 1968) was part of Oghuz district. Oghuz district is located in the Sheki-Zakatala economic zone at the southern foot of the Upper Caucasus. It shares a border in the north with Dagestan Republic of the Russian Federation. Oghuz district has 33 villages. Its total area is 1.77 km², and it has a population of over 44,314 (01 April 2019). Oghuz district shares borders with the Russian Federation (Dagestan Republic) in the north, Gabala district in the east, Sheki district in the west, and Aghdash district in the south. There are 367 refugee families (01 April 2019) - 1698 people and 711 IDP families – 2865 people settled in Oghuz district as a result of the aggressive policy of Armenian occupiers.