The information about the district
Jabrail administrative area was created in 1897 within Tsar Russia. The administrative area included the present Jabrail, Fuzuli and Khojavand districts, and the territories of Khanlig village of Gubadli district stretching to Araz river and from there to the territories in Bartas village of Zangilan district. Subsequently the division into administrative areas was abolished and Jabrail district was created on 08 August 1930 and Jabrail District People’s Court (presently Jabrail District Court) was established that year. Jabrail is located in the south-eastern part of the Lower Caucasus mountains and on the Gayan plain and Karabakh mountain range. The district borders with the left bank of the Araz river, Iran in the south, Zangilan in the south-west, Gubadli in the west, Khocavand in the north and Fuzuli district in the east. Its territory is predominantly mountainous. There are rumors among the district’s population that the name of the area is derived from the name of Jabrail the father who lived in the 8th century. However, the remnants of numerous monuments, caves, castles, towers and temples are evidence that this residential area is even older. Jabrail district was occupied by Armenia in 23 August 1993. Prior to the occupation, the its economy was predominantly based on husbandry, vine-growing and cocoon. There was a winery plant, as well as sewing, carpet and device-making workshops, overall 8 industrial entities in the district.
At present Jabrail District Court operates in settlement No1 created for IDPs from Jabrail district in Bilasuvar district. The total population of Jabrail displaced from their native lands as a result of the aggressive policy of Armenian invaders, is 65.001 with 18.451 people in the settlements built in Bilasuvar district, 30.971 in Baku, 5.387 in Sumgayit, 3.715 in Absheron district and 6.477 in 55 districts of the country. The district’s total area is 1050 kv.km.