The information about the district
The word Gubadli was derived from the name of the Gubad dynasty of saljug turks who moved to Azerbaijan at the end of the 16th century. Gubadli District was created in 1930 and is located in the south west of the Republic of Azerbaijan and to the south east of Karabakh plateau. It shares a border with the Republic of Armenia in the west. Its area is 802 km. On the eve of the occupation, it had a population of 30323 persons.
Gubadli district was totally occupied by the Republic of Armenia on 31 August 1993. Gubadli district suffered in the war 238 losses (including, 40 women, 4 children, 53 people above the age of 60). As a result of the war, 211 people (including 12 children) were left disabled. In general, as a result of the occupation, the district was exposed to 148627.0 thousand dollars worth of material damages.
At present, Gubadli district has a population of 34120 as of 01 July 2011. The district has 1 city and 93 villages. The previous name of Gubadli District Court was Gubadli District Peoples Court and was located in Gubadli city which is the administrative center of Gubadli district. Following the occupation of the district, the court was moved to Sumgayit city where internally displaced persons from Gubadli district are densely settled.